From tuesday to friday, the team of SOURIRE A LA VIE visits sick children at the hospital. Not a single place is left behind : we go to the hospital ward, secluded rooms, day care center and transplant center.
In 2015, SOURIRE A LA VIE and the pediatric oncology- hématology unit in La Timone in Marseille decided to create a top-notch sports facility offering a variety of possible activities.
« When you think of child cancer, what exactly does it evoke to you ? », asks professor Nicolas André to the assembly gathered for the presentation of the project. « You think of a pale-faced, tired-eyed, highly nauseous child in bed. I know…As for me, I never imagined I would once visit a sick child at the eve of a marrow transplant or an act of surgery doing push ups in his hospital room, playing a game of badminton or dancing. I never thought this would be possible, and yet, that is what SOURIRE A LA VIE does ! »
The aims of the workshops « sports and creation at the hospital » :
- Give the child an opportunity to escape and smoothen his time at the hospital,
- Give him the opportunity to keep a child’s life in spite of treatments,
- Spice up his days, make him active and devoted,
- Reduce the loss of autonomy, keep him as fit as possible,
- Provoke desires, pleasure, dreams, smiles and laughter
- Reduce isolation
- Permit him to improve his physical capacities
- Help him regain control over his body
- Help him relax, express himself and accept,
- Help him meet other sick children and share